Welcome to my web page
I am full professor at the National Institute of Applied Science in Lyon (France), Industrial Engineering department, member of the Laboratoire d'InfoRmatique en Image et Systèmes d'information (LIRIS, UMR 5205 CNRS) and coordinator of the Data Mining and Machine Learning team.
I defended my phD thesis in 2002, on one of the first co-clustering method. Then, I got a one year post-doctoral position, funded by INRIA, to work with biologists to analyze their gene expression data. I was hired as associate professor at INSA-Lyon in 2003. During the first half of 2008, I got a 6 months sabbatical (CRCT) during which I joined the ADReM team of the University of Antwerp in Belgium. During 2008-2009, I obtained a delegate position at INRIA in the project-team D-net. I denfended my HDR in december 2013 on Constraint-based pattern mining approaches for the analysis of relational attributed dynamic graphs.
Future and recent events
Tutorial chair, with Céline Rouveirol of the 2014 ECML/PKDD conference.
The 9th December 2013, I defended my HDR
Habilitation à diriger des recherches
- Jean-François Boulicaut, Examinateur. Professeur, INSA de Lyon
- Fosca Giannotti, Rapportreur. DR, ISTI CNR Pisa
- Isabelle Guérin-Lassous, Examinateur. Professeur, Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- Katharina Morik, Rapporteur. Professeur, Technical University of Dortmund
- Marie-Christine Rousset, Examinateur. Professeur, Université Joseph Fourier Grenoble
- Céline Rouveirol, Rapporteur. Professeur, Université Paris 13
- Christel Vrain, Examinateur. Professeur, Université d'Orléans
How to contact me?
INSA Lyon, Université de Lyon,
LIRIS (UMR 5205 CNRS)
Batiment Blaise Pascal
F-69621 Villeurbanne cedex, France
Phone: +33 (0) 4 72 43 76 29
Fax: +33 (0) 4 72 43 83 14
I teach in two INSA Lyon departments: the First-Cycle department, which provides a general scientific background to the future engineers, and the IT department, which trains operational engineers in various IT professions.
In the First-Cycle department, I teach computer science at two of the three groups of top athletes students. In this course, I introduce students to algorithmic and programming in JAVA. They discover the basic components used to build a program (variables and control structures) and learn how to implement them to design programs that solve problems of increasing difficulty.
In the IT department, I teach discrete mathematics in which students deepen their knowledge of algorithms, in particular the mechanisms of proof used to establish the correctness of an algorithm, as well as some tools for analyzing the complexity of iterative and recursive algorithms. I also present the main data structures (lists, stacks, graphs and rooted trees), and the major algorithms that are associated with them. I also follow up students during their internships in 3rd year, 4th year or their final project.
European project GRAISearch Marie Curie IAPP (2014-2017) (amount LIRIS INSA: 445k€). I am reponsable for INSA of this project. Skills transfer to an Irish company which develops a search engine for geo-located social media. Recruiting two experienced researchers for a period of 20 months each. Outgoing mobility of researchers in the team over 20 months.
ANR SOCINNOV Vél'innov (2012-2015). The study of the Bicycle Sharing System of Lyon called Vélo'v and its social appropriation. I am responsible for INSA of this project whose objectives are to characterize Vélo'v as an evolving socio-technical system and to model it.
ANR project COSINUS FOSTER (2011-2014). "Spatio-Temporal Data Mining: Application to Soil Erosion Monitoring . I am one of four LIRIS researchers involved in this project which aims to provide to geologists a semi-automatic process to monitor soil erosion. This process is based on image analysis (satellite image with multi-temporal high-resolution) coupled with field mapping, sensor data and expert knowledge. Under this project, I participate in the supervision of Elise Desmier PhD thesis.
IMU VélovGR (2013-2015). I participate in this project which aims to better understand Vélo'v users and usages in the city, more particularly in terms of women / men differences.
ARC6 (2012-2015) Dynamic graph analysis with application to Vélo'V data. This project funds Ronan Hamon PhD whose aim is to develop new methodology jointly based on data mining and processing non-stationary signals processing tools.
I work on the analysis of complex systems -- a broad category of data made of a large number of highly dynamic interconnected units -- viewed as relational attributed dynamic graphs.
The studied approaches melt data mining techniques -- that consist in the discovery of patterns using constraints -- with statistical analysis of topological properties of the graph, and more recently signal processing methods, to disclose some regularities or important features of these data.
Since September 2012, I lead the Data Mining and Machine Learning team of the LIRIS laboratory.
In 2008-2009, I obtained a delegate position at INRIA Rhône-Alpes to work within the project team D-Net led by Eric Fleury. I worked on the analysis of static and dynamic graphs and more particularly on two applications: the analysis of the dynamic graph that results from the Vélo'v movements, the Lyon bicycle sharing system, and the study of the way the complex system research area was shaped, by investigating its related publications.
During the first half of 2008, I joined the ADReM team, led by Prof. dr. Jan Paredaens, at the University of Antwerp (Belgium). I worked with Toon Calders and Bart Goethals and their PhD students, Boris Cule and Adriana Prado, on sequence mining, frequent pattern mining in noisy data and a set pattern query prototype called MiningViews.
- May 2014, Discret event trace analysis: from an automatical to an interactive process
- March 2013, Mining State Dependencies Between Multiple Sensor Data Sources , GDR I3, Saint-Etienne.
- February 2012, Invited talk in ClasSel workshop, Institut Henri Poincaré, CoStar, un algorithme de co-clustering sans paramètre pour l'analyse de données hétérogènes structurées en étoile.
- December 2009, Constraint-based Pattern Mining in Dynamic Graphs, Miami (Slides)
- April 2009, Constraint-based Subspace Clustering, Sparks (Slides)
- May 2008, Combinatorial local patterns in Boolean datasets, Antwerp (Slides)
- October 29th 2007, Dynamic Communities (From Connectivity to Information Society) workshop, Lyon (Slides)
- September 7, 2007, IDA 07, Ljubljana (Slides)
- September 18, 2006, KDID workshop, Berlin (Slides)
- July 21, 2006, ICCS conference, Aalborg (Slides)
- July 8, 2005, LIRIS, Lyon (Slides)
- April 4, 2005, LRI, Orsay (Slides) (in french)
- 2012 -- Ronan Hamon PhD co-supervised with Patrick Flandrin and Pierre Borgnat. Subject: Study of dynamic graphs by transforming the graph into a collection of signals by CMDS and search for frequency patterns that characterized specific graph models.
- Ruggero Pensa co-supervised with Jean-François Boulicaut. Title:
Co-clustering under constraints. Defended the 20th November 2006.
Phd assessment committee member
- Christiane Kamdem Abstraction et comparaison de traces d'exécutions pour l'analyse d'applications multimédias pour système embarqués, supervised by Marie-Christine Rousset, Maurice Tchuente et Noha Ibrahim, Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble, 5th December 2014.
- Reviewer of Elias Egho PhD thesis entitled Mining Heterogeneous Multidimensional Sequential Data -- An Application to the Analysis of Patient Healthcare Trajectories, supervised by Amedeo Napoli, LORIA, Nancy.
- Reviewer of Hoang-Tung Tran PhD thesis entitled Automatic tag correction in videos: an approach based on frequent pattern mining, supervised by François Jacquenet and Elisa Fromont, Laboratoire Hubert Curien de St-Etienne, defense in July 2014.
- Clément Grimal Apprentissage de co-similarités pour la classification automatique de données monovues et multivues, supervised by Eric Gaussier and Gilles Bisson, Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble, 11th October 2012.
- Viet-Vu Vu Clustering semi-supervisé et apprentissage actif, supervised by Bernadette Bouchon-Meunier and Nicolas Labrocheau, Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6, 5th July 2011.
Selected PC Memberships
- Journal Track Chairs at ECMLPKDD 2016, Riva Det Garda, Italy, September 19-23 2016.
- Senior Program Committee Members of SIAM Conference on Data Mining (SDM16), May 2016, Miami, Floride, USA
- Tutorial co-chair, with Céline Rouveirol, for ECML- PKDD 2014
- Senior Program Committee Members of SIAM Conference on Data Mining (SDM11), April 28-30, 2011, Mesa, Arizona, USA
- Senior Program Committee Members of SIAM Conference on Data Mining (SDM10), April 29 - May 1, 2010, Ohio, USA
- 2009 Co-présidente du comité de programme d'IDA 09 et édition des actes : Advances in Intelligent Data Analysis VIII. N. Adams, C. Robardet, A. Siebes, J-F. Boulicaut. (8th International Symposium on Intelligent Data Analysis IDA 09), Lyon, France. 430p. LNCS 5772. Springer. 2009
(2008 -- 2014) ICDM IEEE International Conference on Data Mining; (2006 -- 2014) ECML/PKDD ``European Conference on Machine Learning (ECML)'' et ``European Conference on Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases (PKDD)''; (2010 -- 2011) SIAM DM SIAM International Conference on Data Mining;
(2005 -- 2009) CAp Conférence francophone sur l'apprentissage automatique; (2014) RFIA Reconnaissance de Formes et l'Intelligence Artificielle;
Information Systems, Knowledge and Information Systems journal, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery journal, Data & Knowledge Engineering journal, Computer Networks.